I was in the market for a pair of grappling shorts for no gi jiu-jitsu, and I heard that Sprawl makes some great shorts. I have also seen them used in plenty of UFC fights. I decided to go with the Sprawl Fusion Fight Shorts in the White/Black/Gray color. These shorts also come in a variety of other colors (see all the colors for Sprawl Fusion Shorts). Note that this is review written from a BJJ perspective, as I only use these fight shorts for grappling as I don’t do any stand-up MMA (yet).
Upon initial inspection, I noticed that these shorts weighed more than other fight shorts I have used. At first this was a concern, because I equated heavy with cumbersome and easy to slip off or shift. However, once I put them on they felt lighter than any pair of MMA shorts I have ever put on. This is because the weight is all around the waist, as part of the rubberized channel-lock system and elastic material that keeps the shorts from slipping off during grappling. Since all the weight was on the waist and secured tightly to your body, and the rest of the shorts was made from very lightweight material, they felt like the lightest and most comfortable MMA shorts I have ever worn! Part of the reason they stay very light during sparring is because they wick away all the moisture instead of absorbing it.
So they look and feel great, but how do they perform? To be honest, I haven’t paid too much attention to how they perform because when I am on the ground I am focused on my Jiu Jitsu game. However, I can say after using them in 15+ no gi sparring sessions, these shorts have not slipped off once. They haven’t even come close. They have also never shifted to the point of limiting my movement. Truth is, I never even noticed they are there. I almost feel kinda naked, especially when compared to wearing gi pants. Also, they have never got in my way and they have never given my opponent anything to grab onto (not that you are supposed to in no gi). One feature that helps make the Sprawl Fusion shorts flexible is the spandex material that lines the inseam and lower crotch area (see pic below), allowing the shorts to stretch where needed most.
As for durability: again, after 15 uses, not a sign of wear and tear and no loose threads. I must say that I am very impressed with the high quality of the construction.
- Slitted leg to allow room for mobility when rolling and kicking
- Rubber grip system around the inner waist to prevent shorts from slipping
- T-shaped velcro enclosure on waist and down fly
- Spandex on inner inseam and crotch for increased flexibility
- Tie-string on inner waistband for additional securing
- Inner pocket for holding a mouth guard, ID, MP3 Player, etc.
- Stays on due to channel lock technology
- Very lightweight – feels like you are wearing nothing!
- Does not hold onto moisture
- Very high quality all around – waistband, material, embroidery, etc.
- Very clean look (as opposed to the “in your face” design of some other MMA shorts)
- Great set of features for the price
- I really can’t think of any.
Here are a few pics that highlight the features of the Sprawl Fusion shorts. Click on the image for full resolution.